Friday, January 21, 2011

Poetry Speaks Who I Am

Throughout this week, I have been reading and listening to the poems included in Poetry Speaks Who I Am. As I wrote out the title in the previous sentence just now, I realized that I have been reading or saying the title in my mind as “who AM i?” - a possible theme in the lives of the intended audience, as it was for me when I was a teen. Poetry Speaks Who I Am is the perfect companion to the teen asking “Who am I?”- answers to this question made even more possible by the invitation on the back of the book: “dive in – find the one you love, the one that makes you angry, the one that makes you laugh, the one that knocks the wind out of you, and add your own inside the book.” If, after the 136 pages of poetry, the reader is inspired by the beauty, honesty and grit, there are twelve sheets left blank to scribble out poems of her/his own.

I would have loved a book like this when I was a tween/teen. In “A Note from the Publisher” on page xi, Dominique Raccah writes: “we seem to skip from great poetry books for young children directly to adult poetry. And yet, it’s at your age that poetry can rock your soul because these poets are talking about all the things that you’re feeling and feeling deeply.” The poems touch on every emotion a tween/teen might be experiencing: fear, courage, hope, regret, love, loss, confidence, insecurity, sadness, joy. William Shakespeare, Maya Angelou, Christina Rossetti, Nikki Giovanni, Langston Hughes and Naomi Shihab Nye are just some of the poets who come together in this collection speaking directly, it seems, to the hearts and minds of young adults.

The words of poets from the past and the present can be read AND heard. I have not mentioned the best part – the book comes with a CD! Most of the tracks feature poets reading their own work. Listening to the voices adds a depth of experience that I think teens will appreciate.

I’m excited to pass it over to my daughter, now in grade eight. But not yet, I’m still listening.

Poetry Speaks Who I Am
Editor: Elise Paschen
Series Editor: Dominique Raccah
Sourcebooks, 2010

Poetry Friday Roundup is at A Teaching Life .

7 comments:

  1. This book really is terrific, you're right. I added it to my collection last year. I teacher elementary school, and the poems fit secondary better. But there are many, many gems within and I love the fact that it came with a CD. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri, I haven't had a chance to read/listen to this one, but I love the others in the Poetry Speaks series. There's something so special about LISTENING. And isn't "who I am" a question for all ages?? Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book as an adult, and like you, feel I would have loved it as a teen. And I think the cd was my favorite part. Kept wanting to hear Richard Wilbur over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not generally on the search for poetry books, but your write-up has me interested in this one. I'll be checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. B.C. - I agree that the poems might be a better fit with secondary students. Thanks for stopping by!

    Irene - haha yes, I still find myself asking that question at times. I love the Poetry Speaks series as well. My daughter has grown along with them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeannine, yes! I was stuck on "The Writer" (track 47) too. What a brilliant poem to end the book and the CD!

    Oh good, MotherReader! I hope you enjoy the book as much as I have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your point about that jump from children's poetry to adult poetry is an important one. I am going to order this book right now....thank you. A.

    ReplyDelete