Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Stepping it up!

If you practice yoga you might be familiar with ‘chair pose.’ It works the leg and arm muscles, engages the diaphragm, and stimulates the heart.

As a writer, I’m in 'chair pose' all day. I’m pretty sure it’s doing nothing more for my body than straining my neck and making my foot go numb. It can’t be good.

Santa is smart. He knew when he gave me the notebooks and planners that I’d be spending a huge amount of time writing. I think that’s why he also put a pedometer under the tree for me. Actually, I’ve wanted this amazing little gadget (currently attached to pant pocket) for a long time. It has confirmed what I already know – I need to walk more. Anyone who sits at a computer or desk for hours and hours will probably agree with me that after a long day of work, the body just doesn’t feel as good as it should.

This year I plan to step it up. According to the information pamphlet that came with the pedometer, I should be aiming to take 10,000 steps a day. I consider myself a physically fit person but I was shocked when I found out that my 20 minute cardio routine only amounted to about 1,500 steps! The yoga that I also enjoy, though healthy, does not really add much to my step count - nor does the light weight-lifting. So I’m doing everything I can to get my number up there. I haven’t hit 10, 000 yet but I’m working on it. Now when I break for tea during my work day, I walk around as much as possible while I wait for the water to boil. I’m running more errands, taking the ‘long way’ to get there, and when one of my family members needs something upstairs, I’m the first to say, “I’ll get it!”

I miss those walks to and from school every day but I’m not as enthusiastic about walking in the cold as I used to be. Yesterday the temperature outside was -6. Today the sidewalks are iced over with freezing rain. I keep imagining myself mall-walking – no ice to slip on and no need for several layers of clothing. When I'm done, I can reward myself at the book store and tea shop.

How do you strike a balance between sitting and moving?

7 comments:

  1. I just nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award. Check out my blog to see it at http://thechildrenswar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still working on striking that balance. I definitely need to move more, and exercise more in general! I prefer to run outdoors but in this cold and with all the snow on the ground, it's difficult. I hope I can figure out a way to make it work soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Alex!

    Ghenet - I agree, it is very difficult to be inspired to get active in this weather. Music helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, this is something I really struggle with. I get so stiff when I'm writing. You know, I've found that taking a break and jogging for 20 or 25 minutes in the middle of my writing is really helpful, if you have a treadmill or access to a gym during these snowy winter months that is:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to juggle writing and excercise, my twizzler addiction while writing doesn't help either :) Good Luck!

    New follower...

    demitrialunetta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got myself some headphones and a bunch of audiobooks from the library that I will stuff into my iPod so I can walk and read at the same time. That should kick my butt...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Demetria! Darn those sweet and salty addictions - I have those too.

    What a great idea, Jim! I must try that.

    ReplyDelete